Powered By Blogger

About Me

Retired chief investment officer and former NYSE firm partner with 50 plus years experience in field as analyst / economist, portfolio manager / trader, and CIO who has superb track record with multi $billion equities and fixed income portfolios. Advanced degrees, CFA. Having done much professional writing as a young guy, I now have a cryptic style. 40 years down on and around The Street confirms: CAVEAT EMPTOR IN SPADES !!!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

When Go Long The Yen

Every few years, I will go against a very popular trade. In Oct. 2010, I started using a
small amount of capital to short the gold price via DB's DZZ offering (goes up in price
when gold goes down). That plus the very occasional futures trade has enabled me to
double my money on my initial gold short. I suggested back then that this was not a trade
that was suitable for most, that it was my way of having fun against the pro - gold super
bombast.

The JP Yen is now in free fall mode as a resuscitated LDP talks the Yen down to break
the deflation and start moving JP exports more heavily. The currency has been rapidly
sold down and is now rather deeply oversold. So, I have added it to my list of potential
long positions for the next month or two. If it starts to work, maybe I will add some
leverage to the position. Check out the chart of the JPY ETF

I plan to wait out the tank job now in force and look for some technical underpinning
for a long position.

Japan has come to be known as the land of the setting sun. Mr. Abe wants to defer the
sunset.

No comments: